Langsung ke konten utama

Adapted cutlery product reviews- compare and contrast

I have been given these products by the sites mentioned to enable me to write this post. Although the products were gifts, all opinions in this review remain my own and I was in no way influenced by any of the companies.




I decided to write this post due to my own difficulties using standard cutlery (as a result of weakness in my hands from several conditions, reduced dexterity, and significant fatigue-related difficulties), and the fact I have become aware both of the number of potential options when purchasing adapted cutlery, and the difficulty obtaining useful advice or comparisons; I decided I'd like to write a blog post to help others in a similar situation to mine by exploring and demystifying the various options. Many thanks to all 3 companies for their enthusiasm, support and for providing the products to make this post possible.

NRS Healthcare Kura Care Cutlery Set from NRS
The main selling points according to the company are as follows:
  • Finger indents and profiled grip for comfortable use
  • Two toned styling – reduces appearance of the curved profile whilst making the cutlery more inclusive
  • Spoon has a deeper bowl for reducing spillages
  • Knife has a serrated edge for easier cutting
  • Dishwasher safe
I think they're all important points. Possibly except point 2, not because I think they look particularly bad (they don't), just because adapted cutlery never looks completely standard, but isn't a fashion statement at the end of the day, so I feel that's negligible really. It is the most discreet of the 3 sets though. The most important element is obviously the function, and I think the product is really great actually. The handles aren't quite as wide as the other 2 sets I'm reviewing here, although they're still significantly larger than standard cutlery so still help with weakness and grip, and particularly for small hands, the size is great. The thing that I think makes this set special, is the shape of them- I've found it really does help with hand position and control. I cannot use standard cutlery with my hands in a 'normal' positioning, but with these the shape and the increased bulkiness mean that I can hold them normally, or fairly normally, and my weakness and control difficulties are minimised greatly. Also, they are suitable for both right-handed and left-handed use; I swap hands depending on which hand is functioning best, and they all sit comfortably in either hand. They are also available in red, which can be particularly helpful for dementia sufferers, and there's a right hand angled spoon and a children's set available too.

Price at time of writing for the set including knife, fork and spoon (not angled version) is: £11.99 including VAT, or £9.99 without, for sale here: https://www.nrshealthcare.co.uk/eating-drinking-aids/cutlery-aids/kura-care-adult-cutlery-set

Comfort Grip Cutlery Set from Stress No More
The main selling points according to the company are as follows:
  • Adapted cutlery for anti-slip grip
  • Easy grip cutlery to make dining easier
  • Comfort grip cutlery is kind on your hands
  • Ideal for elderly and disabled people; makes eating food easier
  • Dishwasher safe teaspoon, fork, knife and spoon with built in cushion-grip handle
These ones aren't specially shaped like the NRS set, but the size of the handle is really good and chunky. In terms of hand weakness, this set is really great. The easier grip, and a less slippy surface, makes this set much easier to handle than standard cutlery. You can also hold them however suits you, e.g. in a fist, and it's still comfortable and little grip power is required. I'd say this is the set that looks of the highest quality to be honest too. I also really like the fact there's a tea spoon. Again these ones can be used comfortably in either hand.

Price at time of writing is £9.99, available at: http://www.stressnomore.co.uk/wellys-comfort-grips-cutlery-82542.html

Red Handled Cutlery Set from Co-operative Independent Living




The main selling points according to the company are as follows:
  • Range includes a knife, a fork, a spoon and a teaspoon
  • Large, ribbed handles for improved grip
  • Extremely sturdy stainless steel heads
  • Ideal for those with arthritis or poor grip strength
  • Bendable fork and spoon heads
  • Dishwasher safe for improved hygiene
  • Latex free design
  • Bold red colouring for easy recognition
  • Suitable for use in dementia care environments
I feel that this set is quite similar to the previous set in terms of the grip. Before they arrived, I thought the extensive ribbing could lead to discomfort, but they're actually much softer and more comfortable than anticipated. The feature that makes this set special, is the fact you can bend the heads of the fork and spoons, allowing you to put them at an angle that minimises the need for wrist/arm movement, particularly if your movement is limited in a predictable way. My own wrists bend backwards which can be frustrating when using cutlery, but this is not reliably the same unfortunately. While it's tempting to think you can just keep repositioning the heads to suit your current wrist position, you cannot reposition them more than 20 times maximum, so I think it's a case of finding the position that works best for you, and then leaving them alone. Also consider the fact that once bent, they will only suit use in one hand. It really is a great feature though, that will be really useful to some people! And they can obviously be used straight too if you'd prefer. Anyone with weakness will need help with bending them- the metal is thicker than it looks in the picture, as it's flat front to back. The spoon in the set is quite large, but this set does also include a tea spoon. The knife is a rocker knife, altering the movement required, and helping significantly with weakness- you don't have to lift the knife from the plate so much which is good! I'd say this set is particularly great for weakness and restricted wrist/arm movement.

Spoon, fork and teaspoon are currently: £2.88 with VAT relief, or £3.45 including VAT. The knife is £3.29 with VAT relief, or £3.95 with VAT if not eligible. Available here: https://www.co-operativeindependentliving.co.uk/in-the-home-c1/dining-c221/adapted-cutlery-c57/red-handled-cutlery-p1660

Conclusion 
Which set do I think is best? It all depends on what exactly you're looking for really, and on your specific impairment- all 3 have their own merits. For limited wrist/arm movement, I'd recommend the red handled set due to its bendable heads. For the most comfortable/those with the widest handle, particularly if you hold cutlery 'abnormally', I'd say the comfort grip set. For the most ergonomic/ones that fit most naturally in your hands and help with control, the Kura Care set. It all very much depends on your particular difficulties, and if you have a changeable condition, several different sets might actually be the way to go!

Any questions do feel free to ask and I'll help if I can!

If you have a product or products that you would like me to review, please drop me an email at Jess.cfs.blog@gmail.com

Komentar

Postingan populer dari blog ini

My 7 year ME/CFS diagnosis anniversary

1st March. My MEversary. Diagnosis anniversaries are tough, and I can't properly explain it.. They make you reflect on life and where you're at, and the years with chronic illness that have passed. I was diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome in 2010, 7 years ago. I'd been ill for 6 months. I was 17 at the time. I've now been ill for 3/10ths of my life. 😳 How the hell has that happened?! I thought I'd be better in a matter of weeks. 390 weeks (and counting) isn't quite what I was thinking.. The last 7.5 years have been beyond difficult, but they haven't been all bad. I've had some great times, with some fabulous people. Chronic illness hasn't wrecked everything. But it has wrecked a hell of a lot. Chronic illness has scuppered a lot of my life plans. Uni didn't go to plan, and became out of of the question when things escalated. I'm currently not massively functional and am very held back by my health. I've been exhausted and i

4 months on- grateful but glum...

4 months ago today, I was admitted to the neurorehabilitation ward. I had no idea I'd make such significant progress, but also had no idea of the challenges I would face along the way.. (TW: mental health) My time in hospital, and the utter terror it triggered as a result of my PTSD (from things that happened in hospital), caused me some really frightening mental health difficulties. I wasn't sure whether I'd ever again be totally sure of what's reality. I suffered what are apparently known as 'overvalued ideas' - an experience just short of delusions. I thought the staff were wanting to, and planning to, harm me. I believed I was being recorded and monitored. I was convinced I was being sectioned and sent to a mental health unit. I 'heard' the staff saying awful things about me. I experienced so much that didn't happen. The experiences were scary as hell, and the realisation that they weren't real and my brain was tricking me was far scarier

ME/CFS Awareness

Today is 12th May: ME/CFS (Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome) awareness day. While my ME/CFS isn't believed to be the predominant cause of my current level of disability (that honor goes to FND), CFS is how it all started years ago, and is what has put enormous strain on my body, so awareness of this condition is still something I deem very important, particularly as I now know, and know of, so many amazing individuals affected by this debilitating condition. ME/CFS has had a massive impact on my body over the last 6.5 years, and it still affects me every day. Chronic Fatigue Syndrome involves a number of different symptoms, all of which can be life-changing. Below I'll detail some of those most common, but there are many more potential symptoms. Chronic fatigue (the symptom that people always think of) can devastate lives, and leave people living with such little energy that they live with horrendous limitations. It's way more than just tiredness- it'